Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:Fox News stops running MyPillow commercials in a payment dispute with election denier Mike Lindell -WealthRoots Academy
Johnathan Walker:Fox News stops running MyPillow commercials in a payment dispute with election denier Mike Lindell
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 18:04:26
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — MyPillow chief executive and Johnathan Walkerprominent election denier Mike Lindell said Friday that Fox News has stopped running his company’s commercials, disputing the network’s assertion that it is simply because he hasn’t paid his bills.
Lindell went public by tweeting that Fox, which had been one of MyPillow’s biggest advertising outlets, had canceled him. He said in his tweet that he didn’t know why but that he suspected that the network was trying to silence him. Fox denied that.
Losing Fox was just the latest in a series of financial and legal setbacks for Minnesota-based MyPillow and Lindell, who continues to propagate former President Donald Trump’s lies that the 2020 election was stolen from him, in part by rigged voting machine systems. Several big-box retailers, including Walmart, have discontinued his products, and lawyers who were defending him against defamation lawsuits by voting machine companies quit.
“As soon as their account is paid, we would be happy to accept their advertising,” Fox spokeswoman Irena Briganti said.
In an interview with The Associated Press, Lindell acknowledged that MyPillow owes money to Fox. He put the figure at $7.8 million, but he insisted that the sum is within his credit line with the network. He said MyPillow has long spent an average of $1 million a week to run its ads on Fox. And he said the network had long allowed him 12 weeks of credit until it recently cut that to eight weeks.
Lindell said he believes Fox wants to silence him “because I want to secure our election platforms” — an assertion that Fox disputes. And he said he suspects the network is sore because his Lindell TV/FrankSpeech online channel recently hired former Fox Business host Lou Dobbs, whose debut show on Monday night featured an interview with Trump, who made further false claims that the 2020 election was rigged.
Fox last April agreed to pay Dominion Voting Systems nearly $800 million to avert a trial in the voting machine company’s lawsuit that would have exposed how the network promoted lies about the 2020 election on shows by Dobbs and other hosts. Fox canceled Dobbs’ show three years ago.
Lindell acknowledged in an interview in October that he owed two law firms that were defending him against lawsuits by Dominion and Smartmatic millions of dollars that he couldn’t pay, which is why they quit. He said MyPillow had been “decimated.”
But Lindell insisted Friday that MyPillow is “doing great.” He said it’s still running ads on another conservative network, Newsmax, and on his own platforms. But he conceded that losing Fox will hurt the business and said he would run his ads there again if Fox would take them.
“Obviously, it would be great if Fox said, ‘Hey, come back,’” Lindell said.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Autoworkers are the latest to spotlight the power of US labor. What is the state of unions today?
- Colombia veers to the right as President Petro’s allies lose by wide margins in regional elections
- Democratic Gov. Beshear downplays party labels in campaigning for 2nd term in GOP-leaning Kentucky
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- A 16-year-old is arrested in the fatal shooting of a Rocky Mountain College student-athlete
- NY man arrested after allegedly pointing gun at head of 6-year-old dropping off candy
- Misinformation is flowing ahead of Ohio abortion vote. Some is coming from a legislative website
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Alaska faces new backlog in processing food stamp benefits after clearing older applications
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- 5 Things podcast: Americans are obsessed with true crime. Is that a good thing?
- Federal judge blocks California law banning gun shows at county fairs
- Singapore defense minister calls on China to take the lead in reducing regional tensions
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Vonage customers to get nearly $100 million in refunds over junk fees
- 'This is Us' star Milo Ventimiglia quietly married model Jarah Mariano earlier this year
- Scream time: Has your kid been frightened by a horror movie trailer?
Recommendation
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
Canadian Solar to build $800 million solar panel factory in southeastern Indiana, employ about 1,200
Pharmacists prescribe another round of US protests to highlight working conditions
Group seeks to clear names of all accused, convicted or executed for witchcraft in Massachusetts
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Heavily armed man with explosives found dead at Colorado amusement park prompting weekend search
Salma Hayek Describes “Special Bond” With Fools Rush In Costar Matthew Perry
Ex-Louisville detective Brett Hankison's trial begins in Breonna Taylor case